Esclanyà is part of the town of Begur, and is located in the northwest sector of the township. Until ends of the Middle Ages it was a possession of the lord of Cruïlles.
The village is built around the church of Sant Esteve de Esclanyà, first documented in 1280. The church contains elements from different periods of the Romanesque from the tenth century, which indicates the existence of an earlier temple.
The castle, known as the tower of Esclanyà, is a building of the XIV century. At present, only remains the large rectangular tower, Romanesque style, with battlements on the north side. Traditionally Esclanyà's economy was based on the cultivation of vineyards and olive groves. The production of tiles represented, too, the main industrial activity.